Foods to eat and avoid when you have diarrhea
Diarrhea is several instances of loose stool during the day. Usually, no treatment is necessary, and it resolves on its own within a few days. However, a good diarrhoea diet is important to find relief from the symptoms.
Foods to Eat during Diarrhea
Bland and weak fibre grains are excellent foods for diarrhoea. Also, foods rich in potassium and pectin are ideal to eat during diarrhoea. Potassium is a mineral that gets lost because of diarrhoea bouts and can result in severe dehydration.
Carbohydrate-rich foods that are low in fibre are also good foods to stop diarrhoea.
What to Eat:
- Banana: adds bulk to stool, contains potassium.
- Yogurt: calms the digestive tract.
- White rice: low in fibre and makes stools bulky.
- Steamed vegetables like carrots, celery and potatoes: calming foods for intestines.
- White bread, white pasta: provides energy and bulk up stools.
- Steamed or baked chicken, turkey, fish: mild for intestines; nutritious for the body.
- Applesauce: contains pectin that reduces diarrheal symptoms; mild to eat.
- Clear broths: can provide hydration and nutrition; best to eat without spices.
Foods to Avoid during Diarrhea
Some foods can worsen your diarrhoea. It is best to remove high fibre foods, caffeinated beverages, and artificial sweeteners from your diarrhoea diet.
Also, refrain from consuming too many oral rehydration drinks. It is also best to remove those foods from your diarrhoea diet that can cause bloating and gas.
- Dairy (except yoghurt): during diarrhoea, enzymes that help to digest lactose in dairy products is lost. Undigested dairy can cause bloating, gas and aggravate diarrheal symptoms.
- Beans: can cause bloating and gas.
- Spicy foods: can irritate the intestines.
- Fatty foods: can aggravate diarrheal symptoms.
- Vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli: can cause bloating.
- Dried fruits and fresh fruits like pears, peaches and plums: can cause gas.
- Nuts: can cause intestinal contractions.
- Whole grain bread, pasta: can irritate intestinal walls.
Drink adequate water to replenish fluids lost during diarrhoea bouts. Talk to your doctor about your diarrhoea diet and follow the recommendations for quick relief.
- Cell Phones
- Cloud Computing
- Consumer Electronics
- Food and Drink
- food and drinks
- Home and Garden
- HR Software
- Medical Software
- Real Estate